If I had to sum up the calendar year 2016, I would say it was a year of distilling my study plan and approach, and remembering there is more to life than chess.
Here is a quick run-through of where I ended up.
- I played 54 rated OTB games (all standard time controls; can’t see myself ever playing quicker controls). My ECF rating was 103 on the January 2016 list (1473 Elo); I expect it to be around 116 (1570) on the January 2017 list.
- finally recorded / codified my opening repertoire (Tiger Chess Building an Opening Repertoire course),
- did more tactics than ever,
- fixed on the Yusupov course as my source of general chess improvement, supplemented by Tiger Chess videos.
For 2017 my focus will be on:
- Openings: learn lines, build “Pattern-Groups” to study more deeply the plans, themes and patterns across different lines.
- Tactics: continue the high-volume low-rating spaced repetition tactics sets, with some higher-rating low-volume tactics to build calculation and visualisation skills.
- Endgames: continue to build on knowledge by working through books; build fluency of concepts through practice on ChessTempo.
- General: Work through Yusupov’s course and Tiger Chess videos, continue to build and review pattern bank.