- I am a 46-year old chess player with a goal to be the best chess player I can be. I hope you find some value from following my experiences.
Found something of Value?
- Estimating your Elo rating
- Lesson 3: Beware a draw offer from a stronger player
- Lesson 2: When ahead, don’t overthink
- Lesson 1: On (almost) every move, consider ALL Checks, Captures and Threats
- The beauty of pattern recognition in chess
- Book Review: “Deep Work” by Cal Newport
- Latest ECF Ratings
- Review – 2016
- Book Review: “Mindset” by Carol Dweck
- Chessable Review
- Review – November 2016
- Review – September 2016 – Tactics, tactics, tactics
- Is Practice Enough?
- Review – August 2016
- Review – June and July 2016
Top Posts & Pages
Category Archives: Opening
Short version: Loved Chessable initially; had two major and a few minor issues which stopped me using it; fantastic customer service and an ethos of continuous improvement resulted in those being fixed; Love it again and would recommend it freely. The debate … Continue reading
Chess opening study is a minefield. It doesn’t need to be, if you play a simple opening repertoire based on themes and positions, rather than deep technical lines and variations. However, even the simplest repertoire still requires some memorisation of moves … Continue reading