- I am a 46-year old chess player with a goal to be the best chess player I can be. I hope you find some value from following my experiences.
Found something of Value?
- Estimating your Elo rating
- Lesson 3: Beware a draw offer from a stronger player
- Lesson 2: When ahead, don’t overthink
- Lesson 1: On (almost) every move, consider ALL Checks, Captures and Threats
- The beauty of pattern recognition in chess
- Book Review: “Deep Work” by Cal Newport
- Latest ECF Ratings
- Review – 2016
- Book Review: “Mindset” by Carol Dweck
- Chessable Review
- Review – November 2016
- Review – September 2016 – Tactics, tactics, tactics
- Is Practice Enough?
- Review – August 2016
- Review – June and July 2016
Top Posts & Pages
Category Archives: Tactics
Focussing on patterns in chess is a good idea. Depending on who you listen to, the number of patterns a chess player knows could be the difference between being mediocre and good, or between being a master and a grandmaster. This … Continue reading
Richard Teichmann famously declared that “Chess is 99% tactics”. Some players and authors disagree though. In a recent article on GM Nigel Davies’ site, The Chess Improver, contributor Hugh Patterson eloquently challenged the view that tactics should be studied at … Continue reading