I somehow missed out giving an update at the end of April, so this will be a double.
I feel this gives me balance between the various phases of the games and different media. In terms of activity and results, here is a recap of April and May.
PLAYING OTB rated games
- April 10 and May 3 for a total 27 YTD (target 50 for the year).
- Some indifferent results; not my best two months.
- I’ve started tracking how much I do, so I can be more accurate now.
- April: ~1,300 tactics, mainly on ChessTempo.
- May: ~2,200 tactics, again mainly ChessTempo.
- My Tactics Trainer rating remains over 1600, but only just at the moment. I had peaked in the 1670s.
- Spaced repetition training on chessable.com (I have just completed a 100-day streak!).
- Working with Chessbase, a few books and the Tiger course to consolidate my opening repertoire. Focus now is on documenting and understanding the pawn structures the lines normally lead to and the plans which flow from those. Once I have that in place (it will take a while) I will reduce opening study to say every other day.
- I continue to use ChessTempo’s Practice mode and Chessimo, but have added more book study. I am working through Pandolfini’s Endgame Course: Basic Endgame Concepts and Chernev’s Capablanca’s Best Chess Endings: 60 Complete Games.
- I now watch a Tiger Chess endgame course video every day. I will loop this as another way to drill in patterns and ideas over time.
- A lesson with my GM coach around once a month.
- Memorise relevant games: I have now memorised 4 games relevant to my opening repertoire, so I am behind my target of 12 for the year.
- Book study: I have worked through Tune Your Chess Tactics Antenna: Know When (and where!) to Look for Winning Combinations, skimmed through Kotov’s Think Like A Grandmaster (to learn about his training method, not for the analysis tree) and am working through the hefty Chess Strategy for Club Players by Grooten.
I have signed up for a few tournaments over the summer, but am hoping to put in the hours on study to help get me off my current ratings plateau over the next twelve months.